Custom made furniture is one made upon request according to your specifications. While there are numerous home furniture options widely available in retail and furniture stores, at times, the best answer to your home decorating problem is to order custom furniture.
With it, you will be able to design the furniture entirely either by yourself, or choose a specific style from magazines and change the details, like materials such as wood, fabric and stain.
Choosing a reliable custom furniture maker would be your first step. Ask your friends and relatives for recommendations in your area.
Here are guidelines on choosing a reliable furniture maker:
1. When you finally find a potential furniture builder, ask if you can see some samples of the works he created.
2. Ask about his experience in the field of furniture building. Generally, a minimum of four years experience is recommended.
3. Decide what type of material to be used and if you are envisioning a certain furniture design, discuss it with your furniture maker along with some specifications. An experienced furniture builder will easily understand and perceive what you are suggesting and offer his ideas too on how to enhance your design as well as the types of materials that are ideal to use in your design.
4. Let your furniture maker sketch or illustrate his perception of the furniture that you both have discussed. An experienced furniture maker can easily complete a detailed sketch on how your furniture will look like when it is done.
5. Ask how much your custom furniture will cost. A reliable furniture maker will usually give you a rough estimate plus a detailed list of the materials such as the kind and quality of wood that will be used, and his labor cost.
6. Compare his quote to other custom furniture makers whom you had done inquiries with.
7. Ask about payment terms. Generally, custom furniture makers require a down payment with the balance usually paid upon completion of the work.
The cost of your custom furniture deferentially will be more compared to basic furniture in retail stores.
The main reasons behind is its uniqueness, durability and detailed craftsmanship. If you believe that you can not afford custom made furniture, well you may be right.
However, if you can, go for it as custom made furniture has very huge resale value.
What you probably will be paying for it today, will more possibly be the smallest amount that you will ask for when you decide to sell your custom furniture years from now.